Followers

Friday, February 10, 2017

May I Introduce You to a Friend?

Last night I witnessed someone being born into the Kingdom of God. I presumed that since he was at a church prayer meeting he knew God.  He admitted that he knew about God, facts and information, but he didn’t know God himself.

I was like that once – knowing a lot about God.  I had worked my way through Sunday School, First Confession, First Communion and all the rituals of church attendance.  For the most part the facts and the information that I gleaned about God were wrong.

Let me be very clear – God doesn’t possess a black book.  He doesn’t observe your life and make notes on everything you do.  There are not two columns of good stuff and bad stuff.  He doesn’t possess a big stick that leans against the throne ready to be snatched up at a moment’s notice to beat you about the head with. That’s not God.  That’s what the enemy tells you about God and what most people believe.

I was born into the Kingdom a long time ago. I wasn’t born in a prayer meeting but possibly the following day because of what I had heard in a prayer meeting. It was not so much the words as the approach of a group of young people into the throne room of God that affected me. They didn’t keep God at arm’s length or seem aware of the black book I thought was there. They came as children excited to be with their Father. There wasn’t a different vocabulary or a different “holy” voice. It was as if they had crawled up onto his lap and were filling Him in with the details of their days.

This was the God I had been looking for.

Two of my friends were guitar-wielding, harmony-singing, fresh-scrubbed, make-up-absent, beaming-for-Jesus teenagers. I suppose it was a friendship-once-removed – they were friends of a friend. They were there when I was born into the Kingdom. They had been singing a song for a long as I had known them (about a week). I was born into the kingdom to a backing track. The lyrics and snatches of the melody have stayed with me over the years.

May I Introduce You to a Friend?
By Jamie Owens-Collins

VERSE 1:
May I introduce you to a friend?
He’s been waiting patiently to meet you
A friend on whom you can depend
His love will comfort and complete you

CHORUS 1:
How long have you been searching
Groping aimlessly for something
To fill the emptiness inside
Someone in whom you can confide
Well, he’s here, waiting for you
He’s waiting

 VERSE 2:
When you’re troubled filled with fear
Simply reach out and he’ll guide you
When all others disappear
Oh he will still be there beside you

CHORUS 2:
How long have you been searching
Groping aimlessly for something
To fill the emptiness inside
Someone in whom you can confide
Well, he’s right here, he’s waiting for you
He’s waiting … Meet Jesus

Can I tell you – it’s true? Jesus really is waiting and He is everything the song says He is.

No comments: