Followers

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Rescued!

I had a stab of envy this morning! I was reading Psalm 18 - David declaring God to be his rock, his fortress, his deliverer, his shield and his stronghold. David, in distress, called out to God and …

The earth trembled and quaked,
and the foundations of the mountains shook;
they trembled because he was angry.

Smoke rose from his nostrils;
consuming fire came from his mouth,
burning coals blazed out of it.

He parted the heavens and came down


God thundered from heaven and shot arrows and scattered David’s enemies! Bolts of lightning blasted them and they fled. And then…

He reached down from on high and took hold of me

The imagery is so powerful – that God would get angry when his child is being threatened, and fly down in fury to rescue him. The boldness of His attack on David’s enemies is in stark contrast with the gentleness with which he stoops down to lift David up.

I felt the stab of envy because too often I feel un-rescued!

Part of the problem is feeling that somehow it’s my own fault – I have either done something where the attacks are deserved, or not done thing which has disqualified myself from calling out to God.

Stupid theology! It may be the way the world works, but it’s not how God works. Just because I don’t feel rescued doesn’t mean that I won’t be rescued! What is it that David did? He called to God! So I called…

I had a moment or two thinking that God just might sigh heavily, tut a little perhaps and say, “What is it now?” That didn’t happen at all. He got down to business!

“So tell me about your enemies…”

My enemies are not flesh and blood. There are people that I don’t get on well with, and probably don’t like me very much…and truth be told, I am not keen on them either – but they are not my enemies.

My enemies are the internal kind – fears, insecurities and inadequacies – the usual suspects, along with a few unusual ones!

As I sat with God, drinking a cup of chamomile tea (no milk in the house) I saw my enemies shrink to a non-threatening size.

God takes delight in fighting my battles because too often I want to fight my own battles and I don’t step aside and give Him space to bring about the victories He has planned.

“He rescued me because he delighted in me.” Psalm 18:19

1 comment:

Rita Garcia said...

You have abundantly blessed my day! Hugs, Rita